“Where do you get your protein?” MCAQ (most commonly asked Q). For a full grocery shopping list of plant-based protein options don’t forget to refer to my list article Intro on Plant-based Macro-Nutrient Intake
This fun and delicious recipe contains Quinoa and Lentils which are some of the highest forms of protein you can get, even more so than meat. Our bodies are also better able to assimilate these nutrients and it’s easy on the digestive system.
VEGAN STUFFED MOZZARELLA RICE BALLS WITH LENTILS AND RED QUINOA
- 1 cup lentils and quinoa
- 2 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 vegetable bouillon
- 2 medium red jacket potatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 batch vegan mozzarella cheese for stuffing (optional)
- 1 cup warm marinara sauce for dipping
- If you’re using the vegan mozzarella make that first and place it in the fridge until ready to stuff the rice balls with.
- Prepare the rice, quinoa and lentils by adding 1 cup of the blend to 2 1/4 cup of low sodium vegetable broth or alternatively water. Add the vegetable bouillon, let it get to a boil then lower to a simmer and let cook for 20 minutes. It’s done when all the liquid is absorbed and the blend is fluffy.
- While this is cooking cut your potatoes (you don’t have to peel them if you don’t want to) and boil them until tender. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are tender remove them from the water and place them in a large bowl. Mash them with a fork and add 1 tbsp of vegan butter. You can sprinkle some salt and pepper in this.
- Once the protein blend of rice, lentils and quinoa are done, add the 2 cups of that along with the rest of the seasonings to the large bowl. (Diced onions, minced garlic and all seasonings.)
- Mix until everything is well combined together and you have a moist mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a measurement of 1/4 cup scoop out the mixture, roll it into a ball and flatten it. Place a tbsp amount of vegan mozzarella to the middle and take another 1/4 cup of rice mixture to place on top. Roll that into a ball and place it on the baking sheet. You can make these smaller or bigger depending on preference. You can also skip this step if you’re not adding cheese.
- Once all the mixture is assembled put in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Heat up your favorite marinara sauce then serve, dip and enjoy! Make your own tomato sauce very easy by combining these ingredients in a blender until smooth: hydrated sundried tomatoes, tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Stores well in the fridge for up to 3 days in an air tight container.